Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Graphic Novels for Toddlers and Preschoolers: Wordless Graphic Novels

Our house is full of books.I mean full. And recently our books shelves have started to be filled with graphic novels. Especially since we have been finding so many at Half Priced Books lately!


But do you know what I think is the most exciting thing about all the awesome new kids graphic novels that have been coming out in the last couple of years? They are starting to include kids of all ages AND reading levels! Seriously.

So to start out with the youngest age (1-4 years old) I recommend two types of graphic novels, wordless and very short. Today, I'm focusing on the wordless graphic novels. So let me show you some of the very awesome ones we have come across in our searches at both our library (Faulk Central Library, Austin, TX) and our favorite comic book shop (Austin Books and Comics).


WORDLESS GRAPHIC NOVELS

Wordless graphic novels are exactly what they sound like they are...wordless. They tell stories through pictures instead of words, but they are in the panel format that comic enthusiasts love.

Parents get to set a pace tailored to their little ones, because you are choosing how much to tell about each scene and there is room for the stories to evolve as you read them over and over and over with your kids. Wordless graphic novels also offer a great opportunity for kids to use the pictures to become storytellers themselves! 

Some of our favorites include:

Owly by Andy Runton
Just one look at this cute little guy and you are in love! Seriously, could he be any cuter! Click here to check out the authors website and you can even download some free PDFs of the comics. But I warn you, it will be love at first sight. Every page is a window into the world of this sweet little owls encounters in the wilderness.


Korgi by Christian Slade
This is a gorgeously illustrated woodland fantasy about a young girl Ivy, her dog Sprout, and their amazing adventures in Korgi Hollow. Another benefit of wordless graphic novels is you really get to focus in on the amazing illistrations, and introduce kids to various types of artistry. (Okay, maybe that's a stretch, but I am always amazed with the detail of each panel in the Korgi series.They are absolutely stunning.)



The Adventures of Polo
This series of books is filled with delightfully colored pages. And to be honest I haven't had a chance to grab one at the library yet (they are always checked out!), but just looking at reviews online and at some of the illustrations that are on the web, this is bound to be an attention getter for any age.

Sara Varon Books
Robot Dreams was the first wordless graphic novel I picked up at the library a few years ago and I was surprised when I opened it up and there were no words. (Okay, I admit it. I choose a graphic novel by its cover art sometimes....most of the time.) My son was three at the time so he didn't seem to notice my bewilderment, and this is when I learned how awesome wordless books can be. Seriously all of her books are superb! 

In my next post I will help you dive into the world of short graphic novels, there are so many of them your heads are going to explode from awesome overload. But don't worry, I will ease you into it.

Stay nerdy, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment