Sunday, April 28, 2013

Nerdy Kids Need Healthy Lunches (& Notes)

When my daughter started pre-k over four years ago, I wanted to make sure she had healthy, filling and cute lunches. Now some moms have way more patience (and creativity) when it comes to making lunches. Don't believe me? Do a google image search for "kids bento lunches" and you will be mesmerized at what some moms can do with a lunch box. As for me, I feel accomplished when I have most of the food groups accounted for and when I don't use plastic baggies.

I do make efforts to include "healthy foods to make healthy brains." That's what I'm always saying to the kiddos. So far, I'd say this broken record technique has served me well. ;) My kids eat much healthier food in their lunches than they would get from the cafeteria and that's all the motivation I need to pack lunches in the morning or if I'm not completely pooped, in the evenings.

When you look at the picture above the lunch on the right is the type of lunches I packed for my daughter when she was in pre-k and kindergarten. When she moved up to first grade she needed more food than one little box could contain, so I upgraded to the easy lunch boxes which are shown in the picture to the left. In the last few months, I have grabbed some ziplock containers that are very similar to the easy lunch boxes except they are a tad smaller, but the compartments are completely leak proof (when you close it properly).


I love using sandwich cutters, especially our Star Wars ones! I bought these online at William Sonoma, but I just realized they are no longer available on their website. Sorry! We really love them and because they are very durable, I think they will last until I'm 90ish. That way my kids can make me tie fighter grilled cheeses every day like I did when we first got them.

And now to the little part in parentheses. Notes. This year I started taping notes on the lid of my daughters lunch boxes. I had hopes of sweet hand written notes, but then I realized 1. I'm not a cheerful person in the morning and 2. I'm not so cheerful in the evenings when I make them occasionally. Besides, there are so many free printable lunch box notes on the internet that are super cute (and nerdy!) Like these (the pirate ones are my favorite!) And these. And these.

Seriously, just taping a little note to a lunch box is easy, loving and creates quite the talk at the lunch table. This summer when I have a bit more free time (this is really wishful thinking) I'd like to take a crack at making some nerdy kid lunch box notes. Until then, I gratefully use what others have generously shared with the world, which do sometimes have space to write your own message.

 
As always. Stay nerdy, my friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment