Friday, April 19, 2013

Raising Nerdy Kids with Book Standards

The other day I made an impulse buy at Half Priced Books (trust me this was definitely not the first time that has happened!) It's been a few years since I've purchased one so I went for it and got a young adult kids box.

I was hoping to score some good stuff for my third grader to read this summer. And while we did get some awesome additions to our home library, half the box was filled with Sweet Valley High books (BLAH). How disappointing!


No offense to anyone who read these books back in the day, or who might even enjoy them now, but my imaginative 9 year old doesn't need to be reading about gossipy girls who are boy crazy. We are postponing that as long as we can. Right now she is really into mysteries, adventure stories, graphic novels, and we are getting into a bit of fantasy as well. This might put me in the overbearing mom category in the eyes of some parents, but I like to think of it as redirecting, which is similar to guiding your three year outside to play swords instead of near grandma's china cabinet.

We've noticed that even in pre-k kids are beginning to bully and be bratty. Don't our kids deserve to escape that world when they read?  As Ellie would say in Up, "Adventure is out there!" And I believe that our kids will be more equipped to spot adventure, if they've already been lucky enough to read about it.




No comments:

Post a Comment